Friday, June 17, 2005

Why I Love Riding

After a rigourous viewing ritual, Earthworm Jim's finally gotten his bike. The impatience that filtered through his consciousness, the eagerness to get back to riding. I understand very well his feelings. Being denied of riding. And finally being able to ride after being denied the pleasure for so long.

Heft the full face helmet in one hand. Walk to the bike. Brush off the fallen leaves. Stick the key into the ignition and flick off the handlebar lock. Start the engine. Hear the bassy undertone of the exhaust pipe and the thrumming of the pistons as they cycle up and the engine oil warms up. Zip up the riding jacket. Put the helmet on. Wear the gloves. Heart swelling as you kick down to gear one and move off. Make a couple of hard lefts and rights to warm up the tires before hitting the expressway, pulling up to a comfortable 90-100km/h. Feeling the wind on your face, alternatively whistling and roaring as it pushes into the confines of your helmet. Freedom of mind, soul, spirit and body. What can be better than this?

I benefit too. The feeling of someone at your class, finally, riding side by side, without having to catch up or slow down to wait. I know sometimes I ride with riders of the same cc class...but this is different. WQ is a friend. He would never show off...and he knows I won't either. So I can ask him stuff, I can tell him to play pickup together, I can tell him to take corners together and he won't think i'm trying anything funny. The joy of discovering different aspects of biking together, is exhilirating. Myths that I always believed in, debunked.

What could be better then riding? Other than the joy in perpetuating in the act itself, the kick you get out of riding a cool and utterly sexy machine out into the streets. A head turner. Attracted by the low aural report of the endcans, or the sensual, sleek curves of the machine itself.

It is entirely essential for every rider to gear up properly when riding, and if such gear makes you look fiercer and cooler, why not?

Helping Ronald gear up. Posted by Hello

Ronald needs a bigger helmet. My S-sized Shoei couldn't get past his noggin'...

You have the coolest helmets available to make you look like the next uber racer, Valentino Rossi. Just make sure they fit.

Eeeeaaauggghh...it just won't fit Red Leader... Posted by Hello




Tight Fit for WQ Posted by Hello


Wha? Posted by Hello

Classic pose before a crash...

On top of all these, you have the armoured jackets that transform any puny shrimp into the next Manhunt finalist, or disguises the spare tires most riders sport. And the gloves...with reinforced steel or kevlar knuckles makes you the next Mike Tyson. Drivers cut into your lane? Crack their windshields with one punch! One young punk trying to be funny with you? One hit KO when you dig in the steel nuggets into his pimply face.

WHAT'S there NOT to love about riding???

Riding hard, fast AND taking a few corners.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home