Snow City
I went to Snow City today with two of my 'daughters'.
First time I've been there, despite having lived a stones throw away from the place ever since it was erected until the day I moved out from Jurong East, and studying at a school which was spitting distance away from Snow City itself.
The advertisements have always left the impression in my mind that Snow City would be a sprawling complex with snow makers simulating real snowfall from above, plenty of space to roam in the snow, a slope for snowboarding and tobagganning, a place for snow fights, a place for building snowmen etc. When I stepped in, I was sorely disappointed. A small playground sized area with a small playground and an igloo so small I would have had to leopard crawl to get into it, and a cordoned off area for some already built snowmen. On the other side was a controlled area where the 3 story snow slide was housed. One word to describe would have been
S-M-A-L-L.
In most areas, the snow was so hard packed that you couldn't get enough out to make a decent sized snowball. There was one area where there was this big bucket of snow, and that was about it; the only area you could get snow. Nothing from the air, near nothing from the ground. Since the two girls were scared of heights, I had to content myself with providing a 'snowing experience' for them which culminated in a snow fight. Haha. Crystal turned really red in the cold and looked like a snow angel when I covered her with snow. So cute!!! Haha...Sin Ying kept running away when I showered her with snow and also looked damn cute when she put her hood up. Haha..so adorable~! But dang...was it cold. About -5 degrees...my miserable BBDC gloves proved that it was only good for opening durians; my fingers were so cold they went numb.
Snow. White. Represents purity, cleaniness, innocence. Soft to touch, like powder or how I imagine the fluffy clouds wafting above us would feel if I could just get high enough. But for all the things it stands for, it is terribly cold, too cold to touch. The pain experienced when I took off my gloves to scoop up a handful of snow can perhaps be likened to life itself. The ideals, principals all look pure and good. But how can you maintain the purity of it all? An example would be the Puritans in old America, who upheld their 'laws' without thought for human compassion...just like how cold and unrelenting snow can be. And if you attempt to touch this purity, you get hurt because all your actions are being examined, and you are ostricised or punished because of the mistakes you made, mistakes that make you human, but far from perfect, far from purity. Which is why ideals, perhaps should be treated like snow. To be viewed from afar only. Life requires a certain bit of realism in each and every one of us.
I should stop looking back, lamenting the loss of ideals and look forward to the future. Because the present is what life deals us. And the present is what needs to be tackled to get a bright future.
Riding hard, fast, safely AND taking a few corners.
First time I've been there, despite having lived a stones throw away from the place ever since it was erected until the day I moved out from Jurong East, and studying at a school which was spitting distance away from Snow City itself.
The advertisements have always left the impression in my mind that Snow City would be a sprawling complex with snow makers simulating real snowfall from above, plenty of space to roam in the snow, a slope for snowboarding and tobagganning, a place for snow fights, a place for building snowmen etc. When I stepped in, I was sorely disappointed. A small playground sized area with a small playground and an igloo so small I would have had to leopard crawl to get into it, and a cordoned off area for some already built snowmen. On the other side was a controlled area where the 3 story snow slide was housed. One word to describe would have been
S-M-A-L-L.
In most areas, the snow was so hard packed that you couldn't get enough out to make a decent sized snowball. There was one area where there was this big bucket of snow, and that was about it; the only area you could get snow. Nothing from the air, near nothing from the ground. Since the two girls were scared of heights, I had to content myself with providing a 'snowing experience' for them which culminated in a snow fight. Haha. Crystal turned really red in the cold and looked like a snow angel when I covered her with snow. So cute!!! Haha...Sin Ying kept running away when I showered her with snow and also looked damn cute when she put her hood up. Haha..so adorable~! But dang...was it cold. About -5 degrees...my miserable BBDC gloves proved that it was only good for opening durians; my fingers were so cold they went numb.
Snow. White. Represents purity, cleaniness, innocence. Soft to touch, like powder or how I imagine the fluffy clouds wafting above us would feel if I could just get high enough. But for all the things it stands for, it is terribly cold, too cold to touch. The pain experienced when I took off my gloves to scoop up a handful of snow can perhaps be likened to life itself. The ideals, principals all look pure and good. But how can you maintain the purity of it all? An example would be the Puritans in old America, who upheld their 'laws' without thought for human compassion...just like how cold and unrelenting snow can be. And if you attempt to touch this purity, you get hurt because all your actions are being examined, and you are ostricised or punished because of the mistakes you made, mistakes that make you human, but far from perfect, far from purity. Which is why ideals, perhaps should be treated like snow. To be viewed from afar only. Life requires a certain bit of realism in each and every one of us.
I should stop looking back, lamenting the loss of ideals and look forward to the future. Because the present is what life deals us. And the present is what needs to be tackled to get a bright future.
Riding hard, fast, safely AND taking a few corners.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home