Thursday, June 23, 2005

Damage Control

I tried to repair the damage done in my own little way.

I sent her an email:

Dear Xiaxue,

First of, I'm not one of those 'rabid', faithful followers who rush to their PCs, flick on the moniter and go to your page, refreshing every 5 minutes or so,hoping to see a new post.

I'll be honest. From the very start, my initial reaction to your writes weren't very encouraging. Your 'in your face' approach and 'I don't care what the world thinks about me' kind of put me off.

But over time, I grew to appreciate the raw, unsalted honesty that extrudes from each of your posts. The fact that none of your thoughts are watered down gives your blog a more 'life-like' appeal, simply becausethese are things that everyone encounters going through our daily lives, things that everyone thinks but few dare express in such undiluted terms.

I know. It's hard to please the masses, and of late, I've noted a subtle change in your style of writing. Less fiery, opiniated stuff, and more posts possibly with the intent of pleasing your readers? I wouldn't know, coz I'm not you.

But ya, the crux of this email is simply to let you know that, hey, if half the male population is against you for what you said, this one here typing out this email at 5am in the morning would like you to know he understands, for what its worth to you.

It's not easy having to deal with all this attention and criticism. And it's not easy to blog with such scrutinity on each syllable and consonance you may bother to patter into your keyboard. I understand. I own a blog too, and while my daily viewership boasts of a mere 0.1% of yours since I try to limit readership to those I know personally, even then I do feel some of the demands pressing in. "Why no updates?", "Your posts are boring" etc... Why? I didn't blog in the 1st place to be a crowd puller or pleaser, and I don't think you did as well.

You do have your own life and demands outside blogging. And you are entitled to your opinion,especially on your own blog, without having to listen to anyone's 2 cent's worth or less about what you think.

If I may just quote one of the hate mails you posted to illustrate:

"Why kick up such a big fuss over SPG's blog? It's her blog and it's her goddamn prerogative to write what she wants."

Turn it around to your own advantage, like so:

"Why kick up such a big fuss over Xiaxue's blog? It's her blog and it's her goddamn prerogative to write what she wants."

See? If you look at it this way, why bother what others think? Go on and write the way you want to. You are answerable to noone else but yourself. Besides, if your detractors can tell you not to 'kickup a fuss' when they do so themselves, doesn't this show that they don't really know what they want? If they can say that you have nothing intelligent to say, that you scribble, and that your columns are a waste of space, and yet waste their time reading those things, doesn't it prove that they are simply confused individuals who possibly can't differentiate betweentheir gobs and a hole in the ground?

Or maybe...hmmm...being a guy, I do admit we allow our other head to do the thinking for us, and maybe that's what happened to those two when they saw the nudiepics...

Haha. Laugh it off, and get on with life. Life's to short so spend being frustrated over a couple of confused people.

Metalfyre


And she replied:

=) Thanks for bothering to mail me. I'm glad you understand, and that you grew to like the blog la. I mean I dont suppose you are the sort who'd spam me if u didn't like it but I'm glad u did like it anyway. I'm rambling, its 530am.

Painful eyes. Shall sleep. Good night!

Wendy



It's times like these where being a nice guy really feels worth it.

Riding hard, fast, safely AND taking a few corners.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home